Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Another 4th Q Finish Dad's Quilt

I have had this quilt kit for almost a year. I have a lot of guilt for not getting it done last year.  It is from Connecting Threads and I bought the kit to make it for my Dad.  The quilt just looks like something my Dad would love; the colors, the flannel, the wildlife, everything about this quilt is my Dad.  But my Dad is in the final stages of Alzheimer's Disease.  He hasn't known who I am for a long time.  Not even a glimmer of recognition in his eyes.  My Dad was a very active, outdoors kind of guy.  Always had to be doing something.  If he sat still, he would fall asleep.  He used to feed the deer that were around on his property.  He even had a pet deer!  He's actually a farmer, which makes me a farmer's daughter.  (Oh, you know I am going to do something with that quilt block!)  So, anyways, it kills me to see him the way he is now.  Alzheimer's is called the long goodbye.  It is heartbreaking.  Seriously heartbreaking.  And another part of why I started to quilt a few years ago was because I saw the Alzheimer's Memory Quilts.  The second quilt I made was for my Dad.  A flannel rag quilt.

This quilt will be mailed off to my Dad today.  He is in Utah; I live in North Carolina.  Yeah, that part sucks.  Big time.  So, please, go hug your Dad if you can!  Tell him you love him.



 
Quilted edge to edge with deer antlers and hooves.  So appropriate!
 


Picture of the deer eating the hay put out for them.


Me (in red) with my older brother and my Dad.  Look at that John Deere combine!

No comments:

Post a Comment